The official site for lodging at the 2014 National Debate Tournament is the Biddle Hotel in the Indiana Memorial Union.
Hoosier debate has reserved a block of 175 rooms at the Biddle Hotel in the Indiana Memorial Union. Teams who choose to stay at the IMU will be pleased with the facility, its location and all of its available amenities. The Indiana Memorial Union is the largest student union in the world. It contains several fast food, cafeteria, and buffet restaurants.
Location: The Union includes the location of the “Big Room” for many NDT meals and announcements (Alumni Hall). Many competition rooms on Day 1 and Monday elimination round debates will also be held in the Union. The Union is a 1 minute walk to competition rooms on Day 2 and Day 3 when NDT debates will be held in an IU classroom building.
Internet: The Union’s Internet capacity is high tech and has recently been updated to meet the needs of IU’s 40,000 students with their multiple connection technologies. While unlikely, if for some reason the hotel side of the union becomes overburdened, the Union has 24-hour lounges (some with pianos!) that litter its three spacious floors.
Amenities: Exercise facilities, bowling alley, pool tables, restaurants, gift shops, a barber shop, bookstore, Mac store, ice cream shop, and two coffee shop options. Yes, it’s really that big.
4th Street/Kirkwood Area: Bloomington has a wide array of restaurant choices that are a five-minute walk away from the Union. These include: Indiana, Southern Creole, Turkish x2, Thai x2, Tibetan x2, New York Pizza, Chipotle, Noodles & Company, another StarBucks, Hot Wings, Sushi, other local dining, at least 5 coffee shops, bars & grills, etc.
Parking: Parking is free for all IMU Biddle hotel guests. Your hotel key will open and close the pay lot gates. Participants who stay at off-site locations will receive a reduced rate for parking (no more than $11 per day).
Airport Shuttle: The Union is on both of the airport shuttles stops in Bloomington.
How to Book at the IMU Biddle Hotel:
The Group rate is $109.00 for singles and $119.00 for doubles. There are also a few suites available for $175.00 a night. The block code is: NDT2014. To make a reservation you can use the online registration system at www.imu.indiana.edu or call 1-800-209-8145 or 812-855-2536.
*Space in the hotel is going to be close to capacity. Please, please, please take advantage of the single rooms if you are only going to have one coach or one debater in a room. Overbooking doubles will disadvantage the tournament.
**Note that rollaway beds can fit in some of the suites and double rooms, but they cannot fit in the single bed bedrooms.
Alternative quality hotel options in order of recommendation/proximity:
1) SpringHill Suites Marriott. The hotel has a block set aside for the NDT (30 rooms) at $109.00 a night. The hotel is currently under construction and will be open for business in February 2014. The location is downtown, about 12 blocks away from the IMU. There are lots of restaurants, coffee shops, and shopping opportunity amenities located downtown.
SpringHill Suites, Bloomington 501 N College Ave, Bloomington, IN 47404 Phone: 1-812-337-7772You can secure rooms by clicking on the link: http://cwp.marriott.com/bmgsh/nationaldebateiu/
2) Courtyard by Marriott, 310 S. College Avenue Bloomington, Indiana, 47403 United States, 866-925-1043. This is the location of the CEDA tournament hotel. The hotel has limited capacity during the NDT. It is only a few blocks away from the IMU and downtown. Prices typically range 110+
3) Hilton Garden Inn, 245 North College Avenue Bloomington, IN, 47404 United States, 1-866-573-4235. The hotel is downtown, a few blocks from the IMU. It’s the upscale alternative to the Marriott. Prices range $120-200
4) Holiday Inn Bloomington, 1710 N. Kinser Pike Bloomington, IN, 47404 United States, 1-866-925-8676. A quality hotel that is two miles from the IMU. Near a Denny’s, Steak and Shake, and McDonalds. Rate $120+
5) Hampton Inn Bloomington, 2100 N. Walnut St. Bloomington, IN, 47404 1-866-538-0251. The hotel is next to the Holiday Inn, and a nice place to stay.
10-minute drive from campus:
1) Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bloomington, 117 S Franklin Rd, Bloomington, IN 47404. (812) 334-8800. Rates $90+. Walking distance to Golden Coral, Texas Roadhouse, Cheddar’s, and McDonalds,
2) Fairfield Inn Bloomington, 120 S Fairfield Dr, Bloomington, IN 47404. (812) 331-1122. $120+
Low cost alternatives: The Days Inn, Super 8, and Quality Inn (all near Holiday Inn/Hampton Inn) provide a low cost alternative. They are close (2 miles away).
If you are staying off-site (not at the IMU) you will be able to park in the IMU lot at a reduced rate. Discounted rates are as follows:
Monday-Thursday 8am-6pm $0.95 per ½ hour 6pm-Midnight $0.75 per ½ hour
Friday-Sunday 8am-9pm $0.50 per ½ hour
The daily maximum is $11 per car and lot fees will not exceed this amount.